Applying for a License or Endorsement through the Colorado Department of Education (CDE)

Once you have completed your program in the SEHD, you will need to assemble documents to apply for your license and/or endorsement from the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). You will apply once your final passing (B- or better) grades and/or degree (undergraduate students, school counseling, school psychology) post to your transcript. You can find the dates that grades post each semester on the academic calendar. You can view grades through UCDAccess (official grades post in UCDAccess, not Canvas). You can obtain an unofficial transcript in UCDAccess by following the instructions on the Registrar's site

CDE requires an official transcript, but we recommend looking at your unofficial transcript first before ordering an official transcript. After all your grades and your degree post, you can order an official transcript

Please note CDE’s instructions for submitting transcripts. CDE does NOT accept hardcopy mailed transcripts. 

You will be required to submit fingerprints unless you already hold a valid and current CDE-issued educational credential, e.g., a substitute license, Temporary Educator Eligibility, intern authorization, etc. 

The fingerprints you submitted to the SEHD will not satisfy the CDE fingerprint requirement for your license.  

Please note: Your license and/or endorsement application to CDE MUST be submitted within 30 days of your fingerprint submission. If not, you will be required to submit new fingerprints, incurring an additional fingerprinting fee. 

CDE typically requires a different Approved Program Verification form depending upon if you’re applying for initial teacher licensure, initial principal or administrator licensure, added endorsement, or special services (school counselor or school psychologist) licensure. Please make sure you’re using the correct form!

To find the CDE Approved Program Verification form for your license/endorsement area, click under "I want to apply for a” to find the checklist that contains the link to the verification form.

CDE’s approved program verification form requires a signature from a Certification Officer in the SEHD. The Certification Officer for your program is typically your Staff Academic Advisor or Staff Program Coordinator/Manager. Please fill out the “To be completed by the Applicant” portion of the verification form and scan/email it to your Staff Academic Advisor/Program Coordinator/Manager or to, or drop it off at Academic Services, 1380 Lawrence Street Center, Room 701. We will process your form (typically within a few business days) and email you a signed PDF for you to upload to your CDE application.

For questions about the licensure process at the CDE, email or call CDE at 720-739-3304.


ASPIRE has a different process for licensure completion – contact with any questions. 

Interested in obtaining your license/endorsement in a different state?  

If you are seeking licensure/endorsement in a state other than Colorado, it is strongly recommended you review the requirements for the state in which you intend to seek employment and contact the appropriate licensing entity in that state. A list of state licensing boards can be found here. 

Licensure reciprocity allows candidates holding an out-of-state license to earn a license in a receiving state, subject to meeting state-specific requirements. Reciprocity information can be found here.

CMS Login