Cristina Gillanders, PhD is an Associate Professor in Early Childhood Education in the School of Education and Human Development at the University of Colorado Denver. Her research focuses on the development and learning of dual language learners, emergent literacy, minority parents’ beliefs and practices, and home-school partnerships. She served as a Co-PI in the Nuestros Niños School Readiness Professional Development Program (funded by NICHD), an experimental study that examined the efficacy of a professional development program aimed to promote language, literacy, and social-emotional development, and mathematics learning in prekindergarten Spanish-English dual language learners. She also has published several articles related to Latino and African American parents’ beliefs and practices related to preparing young children for school. She has served on the Board of Directors in the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and received a service award from the NAEYC Latino Special Interest Group.
Areas of Expertise
Learning and Development of dual language learners
Education, Licensure & Certifications
Award by the NAEYC Latino Interest Forum
- Learning and Development of dual language learners
- Home-School partnerships
- Emergent Literacy
- Early Childhood Teacher Preparation
Publications and Presentations
- Gillanders, C. & Soltero-González, L. (2019) Discovering how writing works in different languages: Lessons from dual language learners. YC Young Children, 74(2), 32-39.
- Franco, X.; Bryant, D. M; Gillanders , C.; Castro , D. C.; Zepeda, M., Willoughby, M. T.(2019) Examining Linguistic Interactions of Dual Language Learners in Preschool Classrooms using the Language Interaction Snapshot (LISn). Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 48, 50-61
- Gillanders, C. (2018). ¿Cómo Lo Escribo en Inglés o en Español? Writing in Dual‐Language Learners. The Reading Teacher, 71(4), 421-430.
- Castro, D. C., Gillanders, C., Franco, X., Bryant, D. M., Zepeda, M., Willoughby, M. T., & Méndez, L. I. (2017). Early education of dual language learners: An efficacy study of the Nuestros Niños School Readiness Professional Development Program. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 40, 188-203.
- Gillanders, C., Franco, X., Seidel, K., Castro, D. C., & Mendez, L. I. (2016) Young dual language learners’ emergent writing development, Early Child Development and Care, 187, (3-4), 371-382, DOI: 10.1080/03004430.2016.1211124
- Gillanders, C., Castro, D. C., & Franco, X. (2014) Learning words for life: Promoting vocabulary in dual language learners. The Reading Teacher, 68(3), 213-221 Hammer, C. S., Hoff, E., Uchikoshi, Y., Gillanders, C., Castro, D. C., & Sandilos, L. E. (2014). The language and literacy development of young dual language learners: A critical review. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 29(4), 715-733.
- Gillanders, C., McKinney, M., & Ritchie, S. (2012) What kind of school would you like for your children? Exploring minority mothers’ beliefs to promote home-school partnerships. Early Childhood Education Journal, 40(5), 285-294.
- Gillanders, C., & Castro, D. (2011) Storybook Reading for young Dual language learners. Young Children, 66(1), 91-95. Gillanders, C. & Jiménez, R. (2004) Reaching for Success: A close-up of Mexican Immigrant Parents in the U.S. who foster Literacy Success for their Kindergarten Children. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 4(3), 243-269.