Geeta Verma is a professor of science education at the School of Education & Human Development, University of Colorado Denver. For over 25 years, she has worked in the field of education as a classroom teacher, researcher, and teacher educator. Her research encompasses (in) equity issues in science education, curriculum discourse, and ethnic studies in immigrant communities. Described as a critical, intercultural, and international scholar, Geeta focuses on creating equitable, imaginative, and innovative learning environments including Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) learning environments. Her publications include journal articles in high-impact journals (including Journal of Research in Science Teaching), edited books, book chapters, and monographs. She presents her research at numerous international and national conferences and has delivered various keynote addresses and invited talks. She has secured grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and other agencies. Geeta serves as the co-Editor in Chief for the Journal of Science Teacher Education, and as a past associate editor for the Journal of Research in Science Teaching, and serves on the review board of many journals.
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- Ph.D ( (Curriculum and Instruction, Science Education), Kent State University, OH, USA
- M.Ed. (Science Education,Curriculum Development, Evaluation), University of Delhi, India
- B.Ed. (Science Teaching in Middle and High Schools), University of Delhi, India
- M.Sc. (Entomology), University of Delhi, India
- B.Sc. (Zoology, Botany, Chemistry), University of Delhi, India
University-Wide Faculty mentoring award, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO (2017)
- Journal of Science Teacher Education | 2019 -2024 (along with Drs. Todd Campbell and Wayne Melville)
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching | 2017-2020
- Cultural Studies of Science Education | 2014- 2019
Editorial Board Membership
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching | 2015 -2017
- Cultural Studies of Science Education | Since 2015
Creating accessible and equitable STEM learning opportunities in formal and informal learning environments.
Publications and Presentations
Refereed Book (most recent)
- Koul, R., Verma, G., & Nargund-Joshi (2019). Science Education in India - Philosophical, Historical, and Contemporary Conversations. Springer.
Refereed Journal Articles and Book chapter (last 3 years):
- Verma, G., & Douglass, H. (2021). Commentary: Intellectual virtues, lived experiences, and engaged science learning. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 32(7), 842-846. DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2021.1932316
- Campbell, T., Melville, W., Verma, G., & Park, B. Y. (2021). On the Cusp of Profound Change: Science Teacher Education in and Beyond the Pandemic. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 32(1), 1-6. DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2020.1857065
- Verma, G. (2021). Informal Science Learning Environments and Contextualized Innovation Spaces (Jugaad). Exploring Phronesis and a virtue-based theory of knowledge. In Virtues, Science, and Science education (117-142). Routledge.
- Douglass, H., & Verma, G. (2021). Examining STEM Teaching at the Intersection of Informal and Formal Spaces: Exploring Science Pre-service Elementary Teacher Preparation. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 1-15. DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2021.1911456
- Puvirajah, A., Verma, G., & Campbell, T. (2020). Advancing Minoritized Learners’ STEM Oriented Communication Competency Through a Science Center-Based Summer Program. Journal of Museum Education, 45(4), 437-449. DOI: 10.1080/10598650.2020.1820812
- Verma, G., Campbell, T., Melville, W., & Park, B.Y (2020). Science Teacher Education in the Times of Covid-19 Pandemic. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 31 (5), 483-490, DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2020.1771514
- Melville, W., Verma, G., & Campbell, T. (2020). The Journal of Science Teacher Education in 2019: A Year in Review, Journal of Science Teacher Education, 31 (4), 359-361, DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2020.1756589
- Campbell, T., Verma, G., Melville, W., & Park, B. Y. (2019). JSTE as a Forum for Engaging in Knowledge Generation and Discourses in Science Teacher Education, Equity and Justice-Focused Science Teacher Education, and Professional Learning for Science Teacher Education Scholars. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 30 (5), 429-433, DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2019.1629220
- Lederman, N. G., Lederman, J. S., Melville, W., Verma, G., & Campbell, T. (2019). Passing the Torch; A Word from the Incoming Co-Editors-in-Chief. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 30 (1), 1-5, DOI: 10.1080/1046560X.2019.1570766
- Verma, G. (2019) Situating “Jugaad – contextualized innovation” in Science Education in India (pp. 209-225). In R. Koul, G. Verma, & V. Nargund Joshi (Eds.). Science Education in India - Philosophical, Historical, and Contemporary Conversations. Springer.
- Leonard, J., Chamberlin, S., Bailey, B. E., Verma, G., & Douglass, H. (2019) Broadening millennials’ participation in STEM and teaching professions through culturally relevant, place-based, informal science internships (pp. 95-128). In G. Prime (Ed.), Centering Race in the STEM education of African American K- 12 learners. New York: Peter Lang.