Dr. Seidel holds a PhD in non-profit and educational management/ organizational theory from University of Cincinnati, and his research training includes econometrics and statistical analysis as well as qualitative and mixed methods design. He has worked with schools and districts in program evaluation since serving as a research consultant with the University of Cincinnati Evaluation Services Center in 1996.
Dr. Seidel has years of experience with large-scale collaborative projects using mixed methods, comparative designs, and advanced statistical modeling. His teaching and research focus has been bringing educators to the table with researchers, to collaboratively generate useful knowledge and data tools to help improve education related work. His primary research has included performance-based approaches to improving educator support and school quality. Current projects include long-term research partnerships with numerous Colorado districts and schools, from rural to large urban sites; work with charter and Alternative Education Campuses; and collaborations with the Colorado Department of Education.
Kent lives near downtown Denver with his husband of 35 years. He enjoys music, and sings and plays flute (and occasionally other instruments) in both rock band and choir settings. He is a certified martial arts instructor, holding a 5th degree black belt in Tracy’s Kenpo-Jiu Jitsu.
Areas of Expertise
- Teacher preparation and early career development
- Work with large-scale assessment systems, value-added modeling; Implementation studies of district & school supports of developing Social Emotional Learning
- Technical advisor / analyst with Colorado Department of Education for the Teaching and Learning Conditions Colorado state-wide survey
- Research partner with rural Student Centered Accountability Project, focused on learning climate and learner dispositions data and evidence for educators' cross-district peer reviews for alternative accountability
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD, University of Cincinnati, College of Arts & Sciences
- MA in Arts Administration with Educational Leadership and MBA cores, University of Cincinnati, College-Conservatory of Music
- BA, University of Kentucky, double major business & performing arts
- WWC Group Design Standards Training
- Concerns-Based Adoption Model certification
- In-depth study with Reggio Emilia Schools, Italy
- Bayesian Statistical Modeling and Structural Equation Modeling with Center for Integrated Latent Variable Research, University of Maryland
- IES Principal Investigator training
- Advanced training for use of large scale NAEP assessment data
- Trained on multiple versions of the CLASS elementary and secondary observation protocols
- Covey Leadership Training
- 2016 Office of Research Services, 2016 ORS Awards, University of Colorado Denver
- 2013 University Recognition of Top Researchers, University of Denver
- Member, American Educational Research Association, American Evaluation Association, National Council on Measurement in Education
- Active with University Council for Educational Administration and Association of Colorado Education Evaluators