Elena Sandoval-Lucero has 35 years of experience in academic and student affairs settings in higher education. Most recently, she held senior level leadership positions at community colleges for ten years. She is a practitioner-scholar who has remained active in research, scholarship, and the student affairs profession throughout her career. She serves on the editorial boards for several journals, and as a mentor for local and national higher education leadership development programs. She teaches higher education and leadership courses, and has presented, researched, and written about the field. She has dedicated her career to helping students believe in the possibilities that exist for them and tapping into the power of education to transform lives.
Areas of Expertise
- Community College Leadership
- Enrollment Management and Student Success
- Hispanic Serving Institutions
- Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity in Higher Education
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD Educational Leadership and Innovation - University of Colorado Denver
- MA Administration, Supervision, and Curriculum Development - University of Colorado Denver
- MA Psychology - American Public University
- BA Psychology - University of Northern Colorado
- Pillar of the Profession Award, NASPA Student Affairs Professionals in Higher Education, 2020
- Adjunct Faculty Award, University of Denver, Morgridge College of Education, Higher Education Program, 2019
- Research and Scholarship Award, NASPA Student Affairs Professionals In Higher Education, Community College Division, 2018
- Student Success Center Visionary Award, Community College of Aurora, 2017
- Outstanding Reviewer of the Year Award, Advances in Developing Human Resources Journal, 2011
- Editorial Board Member, About Campus: Enriching the Student Learning Experience.
- Content Expert - Complete College America
- Guided Pathways Coach - Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
- Mentor - National Community College Hispanic Council, Leadership Fellows Program
- Latinx/a/o Taskforce Member - NASPA Student Affairs Professionals In Higher Education, Community College Division
Publications and Presentations
- Sandoval-Lucero, E., White, T. D., & Diaz Bonacquisti, J. (2020). Mentoring and supervision for women of color leaders in North American higher education: Together we go further. International Journal of Bias, Identity and Diversities in Education, 5(1), 18-45.
- Sandoval-Lucero, E., & Maes, J. B. (Eds.). (2019). Case Studies in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education: An Intersectional Perspective. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing.
- Sandoval-Lucero, E., Klingsmith, L., & Gildersleeve, R. E. (2019). Using social-situational learning to create career pathways into community college leadership. In G. Strohschen, & K. Lewis (Eds.), Competency-Based and Social-Situational Approaches for Facilitating Learning in Higher Education, (pp. 48-74). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Sandoval-Lucero, E., White, T. D., Haynes, D. E., Phillips, Q., Brame, J. D., & Sturtevant James, K. A., (2017). Engaging inclusive excellence: Creating a college with an equity mindset. In L. Leavitt, S. Wisdom, & K. Leavitt (Eds.), Cultural Awareness and Competency Development in Higher Education, (pp. 40-60). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Sandoval-Lucero, E., Maes, J. B., & Klingsmith, L. (2014). African American and Latina(o) community college students’ social capital and student success. College Student Journal, 48(3), 522-533.